Join us each MAY for the Great Canadian Birdathon and help raise funds for the work of PEPtBO!
Three easy steps:
Register online on the Bird Studies Canada website (make sure you mark PEPtBO as the organization you're raising funds for). You can also download a form if you prefer to mail it in.
- Collect some sponsors
- Go out and look at birds any day in May
- Please let us know what you saw! Send your list to email@example.com.
- Need a team? We'd be glad to connect you with someone else and you can go out as a team. Contact Peter (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Why is the Great Canadian Birdathon so important?
PEPtBO is a volunteer organization supported entirely by donations. The Birdathon is one of our most important fundraisers.
Does all the money I raise go to PEPtBO?
75% of the money goes to PEPtBO. The rest goes to Bird Studies Canada to offset their costs for running the Birdathon and to support other important conservation programs, such as the Canadian Migration Monitoring Network, of which PEPtBO is a member. BSC collects the funds, sends donation receipts to your sponsors, and sends us PEPtBO's share at year-end.
Do I need to be an experienced birder to take part in the Birdathon?
Not at all! The purpose of the Birdathon is to raise money, enjoy looking for birds, and have fun. Many go out in groups anyway: you tend to see more birds that way and, of course, it’s fun! If you don’t know anyone to go with, Mike Burge (contact above) will be glad to find an individual or group for you to team up with.
Do I have to stay up for 24 hours looking for birds?
Absolutely not! Choose any 24-hour period in May for your Birdathon, and within that period spend as much time as you want – or as little – looking for birds.
Do I have to do the Birdathon in the County?
No! You can be anywhere at all when you do the Birdathon. Please let PEPtBO know which birds on your checklist were seen outside the County (to help us award prizes)
Thank you for helping the Prince Edward Point Bird Observatory!
- Great Canadian Birdathon Pledge Sheet, for sponsors who prefer to donate directly to you and not online - you fill it out when you ask for donations and later send it to BSC with the money you collect
- Checklist of bird species to tick off as you identify birds during the 24-hour period